Why Should You Consider RV With Bunk Beds? + 8 Best Bunkhouse RVs
Table of Contents
An RV with bunk beds is a compelling choice for travelers that want extra sleeping capacity without sacrificing the living space. But with so many options out there, it’s difficult to narrow down to the best RV bunk bed floor plan. This post will take a deep dive into the subject and cover the best bunk bed campers in each RV category. We will also discuss some bunkhouse RV benefits and FAQs.
Are you looking for a bunkhouse RV rental? Rent an RV with bunk beds at Go RV Rentals. Our platform facilitates an apples-to-apples comparison so you can snatch up a fantastic rental deal.
What is an RV With Bunk Beds?
It’s a recreational vehicle that has a bed stacked on top of another, allowing two or more beds to occupy the floor space that’s typically used by one. The bunk beds come in a broad range of configurations.
Some can be in a separate bedroom called a bunkhouse or in a small nook or slide-out within the RV. Others are 3 beds stacked on top of each other or quad bunks, which are two pairs of bunk beds. Both towable and driveable RVs can come with bunk beds.
What is the Size of RV Bunk Beds?
Bunks are much narrower than other beds in a camper. The average size of an RV bunk bed is 28 inches wide by 75 inches long. However, they are rarely standard. Expect a length of 68 to 80 inches and a width of 24 to 35 inches. In some rigs, the bottom bunk bed is a 60 to 80 inches queen bed, while the upper bunk is smaller.
Benefits of RV Bunk Beds
Here are the main advantages of RVs with a bunk bed floor plan.
- You have Dedicated Beds – You don’t need to set up your sofa bed or dinette every evening and break it down each morning. Dedicated beds save you time and energy, as no conversion is necessary.
- Privacy – Most RV bunk beds are situated in a private space with a door or curtain, giving your kids, tweens, teens, or guests some much-needed privacy.
- More Sleeping Room in Less Space – A bunk’s sleeping arrangement enables you to fit more beds in less space. This allows a small RV to accommodate more sleepers.
- Bunks Create Extra Living Room – Unlike a full bedroom, the narrow bunk beds don’t take up too much floor space. This opens up more space elsewhere for living and entertainment.
- Your Living Area is Always Useable – Since you don’t have to rely on common areas for sleep, those who aren’t ready to go to bed can hang out in the lounging area to watch movies or keep the conversation going until late.
- Office Space – Some RVers use the bunk room as a workstation after folding away the beds.
- Storage Space – When not in use, bunk areas can double as storage rooms for clothing, batteries, space heaters, and random recreational items. Even when in use, they have clever storage to keep things organized.
- Entertainment and Comfort – Bigger bunk rooms have plenty of comfort features like a sofa, TV, gaming accessories, table, and windows.
- Kids Love Bunks – Youngsters love a bunk bed arrangement as it helps them spend time together. The bunks are also perfect for inviting their friends over. You can also get creative and make it feel like a playhouse.
- Pet Space – If you travel with your furry buddies, you can transform the bunk room into a dedicated pet space.
- RVs with Bunk Beds Compel Families to Spend More Time Outdoors – Since most RV bunk rooms are compact and equipped with few luxuries, your travel crew won’t be inclined to stay inside all day. They will be more likely to venture outside and participate in outdoor activities.
What to Look for in an RV Bunk Room
Here are the top RV bunkhouse features to consider when buying or renting a bunk bed camper.
- Generous-size bunks in length and width.
- A door or curtain to close off the room.
- Decent headroom in both bunks.
- Telescoping or movable ladder to access the top bunk.
- Safety rails to prevent small children from rolling out of them.
- Dedicated storage space like cabinets, cubbies, and drawers.
- Easy access to the bathroom.
- Windows in the top and lower bunk, as well as privacy shades.
- A light in every bunk.
- Thicker RV bunk bed mattresses.
- If you plan to travel with adults, check the weight ratings of the bunks. They should be strong enough to support the weight of a full-grown adult.
- A top bunk that can flip up or fold.
- TV and cable hookups, charging outlets, USB ports, speakers, and console wiring.
- In a bigger bunkhouse RV model, look for a convertible sofa bed and table.
- Search for a floor plan where the bunk room isn’t immediately next to the main bedroom. They should be a reasonable distance apart for privacy.
Now, read the following roundup to discover the best RV with bunk beds in each class of campers.
Best Class B RV With Bunk Beds: Coachmen Cross Trail 20BH
- RVInsider Coachmen Rating: 3.9 stars out of 781 reviews
- Dimensions(LxWxH): 24′1”X7’7”X10’6″
- GVWR: 11,000 lbs.
- Sleeping Capacity: 4
- RV Bunk Bed Details: 2 murphy bunk beds (29”x76”) at the rear left
- Holding Tanks: 25 gals Fresh, 31 gals Gray, 31 gals Black
- Other Standout Features: AWD, driver assist, opposing sofas that transform into a queen bed, wet bath, and plenty of storage.
- MSRP: $191,503
If you’re tracking down a small RV with bunk beds, consider the Cross Trail 20BH. It has a bunkroom with two beds, each capable of holding 230 pounds. You’ll also have a large window and underneath storage. When you don’t have guests, fold both bunks neatly against the wall and use the room for storage or office space.
A wealth of brilliant features await owners, from extra large kitchen counters to large sliding tinted windows. Further, it has solar prep, a 3000W inverter, and a 400AMP Li battery. It also comes standard with 14’ armless awning, a dog leash holder, outside electrical ports, and a skylight. Moreover, you have the option to upgrade to an off-road package.
Best Class C RV With Bunk Beds: Entegra Odyssey 31F
- RVInsider Model Rating: 4.1 stars out of 19 reviews
- Dimensions(LxWxH): 32′7”X8.3’X11’8″
- GVWR: 14,500 lbs.
- Sleeping Capacity: 10
- RV Bunk Bed Details: 28″x72″ bunk beds with tablet holders
- Holding Tanks: 43.5 gals Fresh, 41 gals Gray, 31 gals Black
- Other Standout Features: 2 entrance full bath, L-shape kitchen with loads of counter space, plus backup and side-view cameras.
- MSRP: $171,330
The Entegra Odyssey 31F lets you set up your youngsters like kings. Each bunk bed has windows, plus the room has TV hookups and storage drawers down below. You’ll love the 2 entrance bathroom that’s accessible from the main bedroom and bunk. Step into the bath, and you’ll have a corner-style shower, shelf space, med cabinet, and vanity.
Other sleeping options include a master suite at the rear and the over-cab bunk. Remarkably, the over-cab has a huge window and cubbies. Use the stainless steel appliances to fix 5-star meals, serve food at the booth dinette with cup holders, and later relax on the 68” tri-fold sofa. More perks include hardwood storage doors, exterior TV, a Sony infotainment system, and a deep double-bowl sink.
Best Class A RV With Bunk Beds: Holiday Rambler Nautica 35QZ
- RVInsider Model Rating: 3.9 stars out of 295 reviews
- Dimensions(LxWxH): 38′4”X8’6”X12’10″
- GVWR: 32,400 lbs.
- Sleeping Capacity: 7
- RV Bunk Bed Details: 29″x72.5″ bunk beds and area converts into a wardrobe.
- Holding Tanks: 96 gals Fresh, 65 gals Gray, 45 gals Black
- Other Standout Features: Dual-entry bathroom, heated tanks, fireplace, exterior LED TV, 6kW Onan Quiet Diesel, and sleeper sofa with full mattress.
- MSRP: $413,527
Those looking for a large motorhome with bunk beds should settle for the Holiday Rambler Nautica 35QZ. This luxurious diesel beast has everything your family needs to travel and camp in style. More importantly, it boasts the most unique floor plan of any Class A bunkhouse.
Instead of a bunkroom in a slide, its bunks are in the rear of the RV, and they have ample storage space. On the rear roadside slide is a private master bedroom with a king bed, 32” TV, and multiple doors. More delightful features include a residential fridge, powerful Freightliner custom raised rail chassis, and safety driving technologies. Furthermore, you’ll have swivel cockpit seats and an optional washer and dryer.
Best Travel Trailer With Bunk Beds: Palomino Solaire 320TSBH
- RVInsider Model Rating: 3.2 stars out of 20 reviews
- Dimensions(LxWxH): 36’3”x8’x11’1”
- UVW: 7,958 lbs.
- Sleeping Capacity: 9
- RV Bunk Bed Details: 2 upper bunks (38″x72″) and (34″x72″).
- Holding Tanks: 44 gals Fresh, 98 gals Gray, 30 gals Black
- Other Standout Features: Triple slide outs, fireplace, 21′ power awning, 70”x80” king, plus outside kitchen with grill, fridge, and cabinet.
- MSRP: $68,111
Palomino Solaire 320TSBH takes the definition of a bunkhouse RV to a whole new level. Thanks to the massive bunk room at the rear slide. Inside, there are two top bunks, one on top of a sofa sleeper with ottomans and the other on top of the entertainment center. You’ll find plenty of cabinet space and windows to usher in the light.
Next door is a full bath to freshen up and a face-me dinette opposite. Mid-ship is the main living area with a 68″ sleeper sofa, entertainment center, plus kitchen. Upfront is the king bedroom with a closet, dresser, and washer/dryer prep. You’ll absolutely love the spacious and equipped kitchen, tub surround with skylight, and Hi-Gloss exterior fiberglass finish.
Best Fifth Wheel RV With Bunk Beds: Forest River Sandpiper 384QBOK
- RVInsider Model Rating: 3.5 stars out of 56 reviews
- Dimensions(LxWxH): 43’0”x8’x13’5”
- UVW: 13,132 lbs.
- Sleeping Capacity: 10
- RV Bunk Bed Details: 2 upper bunks and one convertible sofa.
- Holding Tanks: 50 gals Fresh, 134 gals Gray, 104 gals Black
- Other Standout Features: 5 slides, full and half bath, 2 entertainment centers, kitchen island, outdoor kitchen, fireplace, and dual entry.
- MSRP: $120,159
The Sandpiper 384QBOK is an elegant RV with an amazing bunk bed layout. Within the rear opposing slides, you’ll have a spacious bunk room with a glider sofa and flip-up bunk above, as well as a twin bed opposite it. In addition, the room has an entire wall of storage and half a bath outside. Parents can claim the master bedroom up front. It has a queen bed, dresser, wardrobe, and TV hookup.
Without a doubt, this rig has one of the most spacious living areas. There are three separate seating spaces to entertain guests. Other impressive features include an island with flip-up extensions, stainless steel appliances, premium hardwood accents, underbelly armor, and auto leveling.
Best Smallest Camper With Bunk Beds: Grand Design Imagine AIM 15BH
- RVInsider Model Rating: 4.0 stars out of 159 reviews
- Dimensions(LxWxH): 19’11”x8’x10’11”
- UVW: 3,560 lbs.
- Sleeping Capacity: 4
- RV Bunk Bed Details: 40″x80″ flip top bunk above 60”x80” queen.
- Holding Tanks: 37 gals Fresh, 74 gals Gray, 37 gals Black
- Other Standout Features: Dry bath, 200W solar, outside griddle, huge panoramic window, plus large fridge and freezer
- MSRP: $32,282
Another excellent bunk bed RV is the Imagine AIM 15BH. This nimble unit has a queen bed below a 40″ x 80″ flip-top bunk. Although the setup doesn’t offer much privacy, it’s great for solo campers who occasionally travel with kids like a single or shared-custody parent.
When you don’t have a guest, simply get the bunk out of the way or use it to store cargo or the dog kennel. More sleeping space is available once you convert the booth-style dinette. There are a lot of finer details to admire in this rig, from a walk-in shower with a skylight, vent hood, outside spray port, and generous overhead storage to massive baggage doors. Notably, you can tow it with an electric car.
Best Off-Road RV with Bunk Beds: Forest River Rockwood Geo Pro 20BHS
- RVInsider Model Rating: 3.7 stars out of 54 reviews
- Dimensions(LxWxH): 21′2”X7.6’X10’0”
- Dry Weight: 3,700 lbs.
- Sleeping Capacity: 5
- RV Bunk Bed Details: 2 rear full-size bunk beds (26”x”74)
- Holding Tanks: 31 gals Fresh, 27 gals Gray, 27 gals Black
- Other Standout Features: 1 slide, solar system, tongue bike rack, and hardwood cabinets.
- MSRP: $35,000
The Forest River Rockwood Geo Pro 20BHS is hands down one of the best RVs with bunk beds that can go off-road. The off-grid package has everything you need to explore the less-beaten track. Owners appreciate the rugged tires, torsion axles, heated tanks, and outside griddle.
More goodies include an outdoor shower, exterior speaker, pass-through storage with lights, and a sunscreen door. The bunk room has a privacy curtain, a window at each level, USB plugs, and regular 12v plugs. Impressively, this small unit has a full bath, queen bed, convertible dinette, and stainless steel appliances.
Biggest Bunkhouse RV: 2023 Keystone Passport 3401QD
- RVInsider Model Rating: 3.3 stars out of 12 reviews
- Dimensions(LxWxH): 39′3”X8’X11’2″
- Dry Weight: 8,100 lbs.
- Sleeping Capacity: 14
- RV Bunk Bed Details: 2 sets of double-size bunks (51”x74” each) in the rear private bunkhouse suite
- Holding Tanks: 37 gals Fresh, 76 gals Gray, 38 gals Black
- Other Standout Features: Front bedroom, 2 slides, 2 walk-in pantries, 2 TVs, outdoor kitchen, and solar system.
- MSRP: $69,251
With sleeping space for up to 14, the Keystone Passport 3401QD is one of the largest campers with bunk beds. This family-friendly travel trailer has a private rear bunkhouse with 4 double-size bunks. You’ll also have multiple windows, a large TV, USB ports, AC, and ceiling-to-floor storage space.
The master bedroom is at the front, and it has a nightstand, 2 wardrobes, and overhead storage. Mid-ship, you’ll find a dinette, tri-fold sleeper sofa, full bath, and well-appointed kitchen. Other highlights include dual entry doors, an outside kitchen, vinyl flooring, wood-grain cabinetry, and upgraded leather furniture. Indeed, it also has WiFi prep, plus washer and dryer prep.
RV Bunk Beds FAQS
Here are some frequently asked questions about bunkhouse campers:
Can Adults Sleep in RV Bunk Beds?
Many RV bunk beds can safely accommodate adults. When shopping with adults in mind, check the weight rating of the beds to ensure they can support adults. Regarding size, most bunks have enough length and width for a grownup to stretch out.
Are RV Bunk Beds Safe for Younger Kids?
RV bunk beds are safe if you add a few features to prevent your kid from rolling off. Install sturdy guardrails that are at least 5 inches above the mattress top. Some parents prefer attaching bunk safety nets or gates.
How Can I Make My RV Bunk Bed More Comfortable?
The easiest way to enhance the comfort of an RV bunk bed is to upgrade to a thicker, better-quality mattress. Alternatively, use an RV memory foam mattress topper to make the bed feel cushier. Additionally, use high-quality bedsheets and pillows, and provide a ladder.
Get an RV With Bunk Beds and Bring the Entire Team Outdoors
Whether you are an extended family, a small crew, or grandparents that occasionally invite grandkids, there is a bunkhouse RV floor plan perfect for you. When it’s time to buy or rent, start exploring the above options, as they are diverse enough to fit the requirements of any type of RVer.